Friday, September 9, 2011

Assignment: Families

In the narrative written by Claire Wallace, “Families (that have been torn, re-cut with dull scissors, and then messily glued back together) Are Forever”, the reader has the opportunity to experience a day (or two) in the life of Claire. I really appreciated her insight and view into what a family is. Her family was not perfect. As mentioned in the title, her family had been “reassembled” a few times, each time being the cause of a new struggle or learning experience. While I don’t have a “reassembled” family, I certainly don’t have a perfect family. Everyone has family issues- they are part of life on Earth. But, just as Claire had to overcome this little trial, we all have the opportunity and responsibility to do our best in our families.
I remember several times when I thought my life was over. I was so angry and frustrated- I just wanted to give up and not care anymore! It was in those moments though, that I was somehow reminded of my Heavenly Father’s love for me. Overwhelming feelings of love and compassion helped open my eyes to the eternal perspective of things. As the proclamation states, “The family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children”. The Proclamation DOES NOT state, “Families that have 2 parents, 5 kids, and never disagree about anything are the only families that count in Heaven.” Every family has its challenges. Every person has their weaknesses. I’m thankful for the family unit and for the Atonement of Christ that allows us to learn and love, forgive and forget, and try and try again.

3 comments:

  1. It is awesome what you said, (or what the article said) about how families with 2 parents and five kids who don't argue count in heaven is not stated. I like this because i am that family, but we still fight. I mean we have our differences but we get along pretty well. It is so true that no family is perfect and my family is a good example. I absolutely love my family with all of my heart but sometimes they can be a pain and its good to remember that a lot of families argue way more than we do. This is great insight and great thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! My family isn't perfect either- no family is! :) But I honestly think its through those arguements and hard times that we come to love and appreciate each other. If families were perfect, there would be no learning and growing to do. And isn't that the purpose of life? It is kind of a weird realization... but I've realized over the past few months, that I am grateful for trials and fights and frustrations... because they help us see the good that is around us. It's like the scripture that states that "there must be opposition in all things". It's not always what we want, but it certainly makes things better... in a round-about kind of way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would just like to echo what you guys have said about how important family is. I like the analogy of the scissors used by Claire Wallace and for me, it very accurately represents what happens in the family household. No family will ever be perfect as that's impossible, especially if there are 5 children in the family. So I like the idea of being glued back together, i.e everything gets worked out in the end. I'm also very fond of the idea that without anything ever going wrong you wouldn't appreciate the good times as much. If your life was perfect, you wouldn't know any different. So the arguments and frustration you go through during everyday life makes you recognize how great your life is when everything falls into place.

    ReplyDelete