Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Assignment: I Love My Daddy

I really enjoyed reading Sarah Nielsen’s personal narrative about her dad. While my dad is not the same as hers, I have a great love and appreciation for my dad. I loved her line about how she didn’t want to marry someone like her dad, but some wanted to marry someone just like her dad. As weird as it might be to some people, I’ve had the very similar thoughts. My dad is the best guy that I know. He is one of my best friends and someone that I can trust and depend on. My dad isn’t perfect by any means, but he means the world to me. If I could find someone as loving, compassionate, caring, respectful, hardworking, and just plain out as amazing as my dad, I would not let him pass by too fast.
As I read this narrative I thought about how difficult it would be to have a father who was an alcoholic and constantly in and out of jail. But, I also thought about the valuable lesson of forgiveness that Sarah Nielsen had to learn. This alcoholic, this prisoner, was her father. She loved him and therefore forgiving him was important in her life. I’m sure it wasn’t easy to forgive him time after time, and she even mentions how sometimes she didn’t understand why she forgave him so quickly, but nonetheless she forgave. Forgiveness is a powerful gift, and Sarah certainly had it!
This particular narrative, compared to the others I tried to read, was a lot easier to understand and follow. I really appreciated the voice of the author as she described her dad. I feel like I came to know him as a person, which made it easier for me to accept how easily she forgave him. I enjoyed reading this narrative and it gave me lots of ideas for how to write mine!

2 comments:

  1. This is amazing how you put this narrative into perspective Brittany and I can also relate to how you put your dad is your best friend. I have a dad who is the same exact way in that we joke around all the time and if I ever have any problems he is the first person that I run to. Forgiveness is definitely important to have and how Sarah showed in this narrative shows that she has a great character and I really respect people who are very forgiving and I really hope to be like that one day and be able to forgive almost everyone I come into contact with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, I love this post Brittany. I just got a strange feeling having read this post as you pervade to the reader just how much your dad means to you. I know that most people say that their parents aren't perfect but I disagree. If they make you feel wanted and loved when they're not around then they've accomplished parenthood to perfection. When your at home, obviously you get into disputes but if you miss them then they've succeeded.
    As much as forgiveness is an important trait to have, I feel that some things are unforgivable. I'm not religious (yet) so that may be a factor in my point of view as I know forgiveness is viewed to be very important to someone that is more religious than I am. If my dad was sent to jail or had a drinking problem, I know for sure that I wouldn't be as close to him as I wouldn't be able to forgive him.

    ReplyDelete